Friday, April 11, 2008

It's a wonder we are all still alive...

Sometimes I wonder how in the world we survived our parents. especially without the technology we have now. Our mothers drank and smoked while pregnant ( ok mine did, which explains so much doesn't it!), we were put to bed on our stomachs as infants, we didn't wear bicycle helmets, car seats were nothing like what they are now, and a booster seat...what's that. We played ball in the street, walked by ourselves to friend's houses, and never gave a second thought to getting ice cream from the creepy ice cream man, or leaving our front doors unlocked at night.

Still, even with all the new technology and safety precautions we have today I have come to learn that when it comes to safety the thing our children need to fear most is US! I say this for several reasons, but it can all be narrowed down to one category: multi-tasking! We all do it, and many of us take pride in doing it well. I do, I do it very well, however I have come to see that a lot of times it is at my children's expense. Whether driving while on my cell phone and hitting that curb thing when you park, or trying to do laundry while holding one child on my hip, talking (usually disciplining) the other, and in turn whacking my child's head on the door way as I turn the corner, I am dangerous. I think you are too, you know we all do it. I think if children were smart, they would stay far, far away from us and be much safer!

Thankfully, I can rest in the fact that if we survived our parents, then my children have a chance to survive me. Atleast its a chance right.....

1 comment:

Kristi said...

It really IS amazing! And I think our kids have a decent shot at surviving us too. ;)