Monday, March 1, 2010

Ragnar Races baby!!!

Ever heard of Ragnar Relays??? Basically, it's this giant relay race that you run with a team of 6 or 12 people. In AZ, it is from Prescott to Tempe, over 200 miles and it takes about 36 hours to complete. The way it works is each runner has 3 legs. Everyone runs their first leg, runners 1-12, then we start back with runner one again and everyone does their 2nd leg, and then finally we repeat it all over again with our third leg until we end up in Tempe! For a team of 12 you divide into 2 cars, 6 runners each.
Anyhow, I really wanted to do this last year, but since I was prego with Zoey, I figured I better wait! But when my friend Kristin asked me if I wanted to do it this year, I could. not. wait!! Yes!!! We found our team of 12 and had to come up with our team name. One of the girls on our team is a police officer so we named ourselves "HOT COPS" as we thought it was appropriate!

We left last Thursday morning at 4:30 am. Loaded up both cars and we were on our way. We decorated the cars and this is what ours looked like:


We each had decals with our names on it! So cute!

These two girls and I stuck together the whole time. We were all in the second car. Kaylani (middle) and Kristin(Right) and I all went to High School together. Kristin and I have been close years for almost 15 years now!

At the start line. This is Destinee, our first runner and team captain. She pulled out all the stops for her outfit. she's a little bit crazy, which is why I love her!

Our whole team at the start line!

And we're off! Destinee took off like lightning




After that, my car had a lot of down time. WE had to wait for all of the first 6 runners to run before we could start. I was the last runner too, so I had the longest to wait. So we got a nutritious breakfast at Denny's, and then went to the runner exchange point and did some people watching. There were some crazy teams out there. I am not sure what the theme of this team was, but I thought nonetheless, this guy deserved his picture taken!





both cars met up again and got a team photo!







Time for our car to start racing. This is Melissa, our cars first runner!


Almost dark, and finally my turn to run. It was wonderful! Lots of downhill and I was cruisin'!








It got dark during my run, hence my reflective vest. Stylish, I know!

After my run It was our cars turn to get some food and some rest. Or atleast try...I think I might have gotten an hour of sleep....at most. Then, at about 1 am in the morning we got back up again to go meet the other runners for our turn to run again.


It was tight quarters in our car. We spent most of the time cozied up like this..good thing we liked each other.




This was Kristin in her night run outfit...she had to make sure she was visible....I think she was ;)



Our team...exhuasted but still having a great time.

Unfortunately, right after our first runner ran, we were informed that there was an accident and they stopped the whole race. They rerouted us all and we had to wait a long time for them to clear the rode. One of the team mates of the runners on a different team was crossing the highway to give out water, but was not wearing their reflective gear and was hit by a car. He is still in very serious condition so please keep him in your prayers.



By the time it was my turn to run it was morning. I was just happy to be out of the car!







And finally, after everybody else did their 3rd leg it was my turn. It was about 3 pm Saturday, and time for me to finish. Here is Ruthann passing it off:




And to the finish line!!!! I was just so happy to be finished!!







Joel brought the kids to watch and Kade ran and gave me a big hug!



Zoey fell asleep in my arms...she missed her mama!


Our family!

One final picture of the three muskateers!


Thanks girls for an unforgetable race! Can't wait till next year!!!!!!!

8 comments:

IronLawGirl said...

It was a wonderful weekend, full of many, ummm... victories!!!!!!

Tawnya said...

One word: CRAZY

Kristi said...

What, like it's a big deal. I TOTALLY could've done that. ;)

Very nice!!!

Carrie said...

I'm exhausted just reading that ... and you're already ready for next year? IMPRESSIVE!!

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

You are amazing! Don't get it why you'd want to run if no one is chasing you....but good job anyways!

Mikele said...

I'm glad that the kids got to see you finish!

Taylors said...

Thanks for the explaining!! Kristin was so vauge that I didnt quite get the extent of how many legs, people, etc. You girls are awesome!! Good job!!

mini and brother said...

You are amazing!! AMAZING! How many miles did you run all together? Could you be any hotter? You just had a baby like 3 weeks ago, how can you but running?